March 14, 2006

Mommy Wars

The Today Show had a feature called "Mommy Wars" on its show yesterday. The war, of course, referring to that that continues to brew between SAHM (stay-at-home-moms) and moms who work outside of the home.

I don't get it.

We all live our lives differently from one another. We maintain our finances differently. We clean our homes differently. Some of us don't clean. We are all different. What works for me may not work for you. But who the hell am I to judge you just because you have a different view than I do? And vice versa.

I cringe every time I hear a member of just 7% of the entire population of mothers (that being the SAHM), say something along the lines of "why would you have a child and have someone else raise it?", referring to those of us that work and take our kids to daycare. Most of us have to. Most of us don't have a choice. I was raised by a mom who worked full time and I was in daycare. I can't tell you the name of my daycare teacher even though, according to some SAHM out there, she raised me. That's because she didn't raise me. My mother raised me. No question about it. I'm sure she would have preferred to stay home full time if she could have. There are times when I wish that I could stay home as well. But that's not an option for me and millions of other moms out there.

We as mothers have the single most important job on Earth - that of raising a well-adjusted, contributing member of society. Instead of wasting prescious time judging mothers that work when we don't, or those that don't when we do, why can't we all come together as one and focus our collective efforts on making this Earth a better place for our children?

Call me a dreamer ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home