May 31, 2006

Diaper Duty

V attends Montessori School on the days that I work. It’s been an amazing experience for both of us. Some days I’m absolutely convinced his development is at the level it is because of his school. I, for example, would have no clue to teach an 18-month old to set his own table, serve his own food, and clear his own table when he’s finished eating. I would have simply assumed he was too young to do it by himself. I would have simply assumed wrong.

The school V attends has it’s pluses and minuses – as do most all schools. Thankfully, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. The school has a full-time organic chef that has the kids help in food preparation, they have a beautiful garden which the kids tend to and eat from, they have teachers that speak only in their native tongue to expose the kids to different languages, and they regularly have musicians come in and play for the kids – and allow the kids to play with the instruments.

When V entered the “toddler room” at 18-months old, I was told he would be in there until he was approximately 3 years old, at which time he would transfer to pre-school. But as is true Montessori learning, each child develops at his/her own pace and transfers to the next level whenever he/she is ready. V is now 2-1/2 years old and I was informed this week that he is ready to start transitioning to pre-school. Excellent news! You’d think I’d be boasting how proud I am that my brilliant bundle of joy has progressed so quickly – that he’s so brilliant – etc. But the truth of it is that I’m mostly excited about his transitioning in to pre-school because of the fact that his closest friends are there and he misses being with them all day!

But wait. We have a hold up. He can’t transfer to pre-school until he is toilet trained.

Screeeeech.

The kid is simply not interested in using the toilet. He told me yesterday that he loves his diapers. We talk about it. We read books about it. He comes in to the bathroom with his dad and myself. But he wants no part of it. And that is that. So, hopefully he’ll start showing some interest sometime in the next – oh, five years or so – and then he will be ready for pre-school. In the meantime, I’m still on diaper duty and I’m okay with that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mommy off the Record said...

Wow. The Montessori school sounds great. I will have to check that out for my son. Good luck with the toliet training!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Mama of 2 said...

The school does sound wonderful and very advanced in their ways of teaching and thinking. Sounds like a great place for V.

Good luck with the potty training. V is at the age when my own Little Man just one day came to me and said I don't want this diaper anymore so keep your chin up it might happen sooner than you think.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home