May 30, 2006

Why?

The best friend of a co-worker died this past weekend just a few months shy of her 50th birthday ... she died unexpectedly. No one is quite sure exactly what happened but all we do know is that she wouldn't wake up Friday morning and was rushed via ambulance to the hospital. She was in a coma due to liver failure and died on Sunday. We also know that she was on Vicodin for back pain. She had taken some Thursday night ... she had also had a glass of wine earlier that evening. That, guesses the doctor, was the lethal combination.

When speaking about the tragedy with loved ones, her doctor mentioned that there are many people who regularly take Tylenol pm, for example. Without even thinking about it, they consume a glass of wine, or maybe a beer earlier in the evening and then take the drug just prior to bedtime. He explained the potentially lethal implications of mixing the two. Let me just say ... WAKE-UP-MOMENT for me.

Since my mom passed away I don't always sleep well and have quite often taken Tylenol pm. I go months without touching it and then will suddenly need it's assitance for a week or so at a time. I just know that I have taken it before - perhaps at 9:00pm - having had a glass of wine with dinner three hours earlier. THAT is something I will never do again.

This woman who passed away leaves behind a 17-year old daughter who was supposed to be planning her future, going away to college. You see, she graduated high school on Friday. Her mom planned a graduation party for her on Sunday. But instead of attending her graduation party, she spent Sunday planning a funeral for her mother. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her daughter. I know how hard it's been for me to lose my mom - and I was twenty years older than her when it happened to me. Why do such senseless things happen to those that don't deserve them? Why? Why? WHY?

4 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

oh man, that has to be rough. My heart goes out to you for losing your mother, and the 17 year old. I can't imagine what that's like. My mother got sick for a while and I would cry every day just at the thought of losing her...
I'm sorry.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mama of 2 said...

That's scary. While I have never taken Tylenol PM myself I will be sure to remember your warning. Thanks so much.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home